Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"When She Was Gone" by Sonam Samuel

                Everything shut down. The room was silent; I could hear the sound of my heartbeat slower, slower. The brightness of the classroom faded into a dark gray. The feeling of sadness was presence, and my body was stiff.
                Wednesday, January 12, 2011. An average school morning: 6:00 am alarm clock, dragged out of bed, and on to school. First period: United States History. After announcements Mr. Bailey began to translate what had happened and what all the “major announcements” were referring too. He said that Dr. Whitaker had recently passed away. That’s how it all began.
                I couldn’t believe it. My mouth dropped, literally. Until Mr. Bailey’s voice began to crack and he sounded all choked up, I knew, this was serious. I spaced out completely. Lost in my own thoughts. The images in my head appeared like a movie. I saw all the moments with Dr. Whitaker and her voice echoed in my head. Was this so, was she actually dead?
                How I met Dr. Whitaker? 7th grade year, in the office. Yeah I know, not the best place to meet an assistant principal. We bumped heads anytime I was in the office. I’m sure Dr. Whitaker and I didn’t get the best first impression on each other. I am a person that takes first impressions everything. So I had already built my own way of seeing who she was. But I don’t believe in that anymore, and learned how much you think you know a person; can come out to be completely incorrect. Never underestimate how a person is, until you’re in their shoes and know their life. My eyes were just too filled with disagreement to see what an amazing women she was. Until now, when she’s gone.
After hearing what happened, Walking down the hallway appears to be like a giant jigsaw puzzle, with just that one puzzle piece missing; the piece that completes everything. I never assumed she was sick. She was a women who never showed weakness, strived for perfection, and will never be forgotten. I give thanks to her for holding northwest middle school together the time she was here. I know for a fact that she will always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment