Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"My Broken Hip" by Tristan Coder

            The ambulance ride was scary and painful, every little bump in the road hurt severely. The paramedic tried to calm me down by asking me questions about my life, but it was hard because there was so much pain.
            My story begins in November 2008, I was living in Tooele, Utah at the time and I was going to Harris Elementary. It was lunch and we were allowed to go outside my friends Montana, Courtney, Jordan, and I were at the tire swing and it was my turn on the swing so I got on and my friends started pushing me. It was fun until I felt myself sliding “ STOP! STOP! STOP!” I yelled but it was too late I already flew off the swing. I was able to get up but I had to use crutches for the next couple of days.
A few days after I fell off the swing I asked my teacher if I could go get some water, that’s when my life changed. I stood up and grabbed my crutches but I didn’t even make 3 feet before my hip popped and I fell into a chair. All my teacher did was call my mom and she said “ Tristan is having a charlie horse someone needs to come pick her up.” Then she hung up. So my mom’s boyfriend and his brother came to get me but I couldn’t move. By the time my mom got home from work which was about 45 minutes away from Tooele I was still at the school. So my mom came to the school got me in the car and to me to the ER where they took me by ambulance to Primary Children’s Hospital.
The ambulance ride was scary and painful, every little bump hurt. The paramedic tried to calm me down but it was hard because it hurt so badly. By the time we got to the hospital it was dark and I’m talking pitch black. My family was already there when we got to the hospital it was one of the few times my parents were in the same room without fighting it was nice. I had to wait a long time for my surgery but finally the nurse came in and told me “ Tristan it’s time for you to go in for your surgery.” So they took me outside the surgery room and gave me anesthetic. When I woke up they told me I had a seven inch screw in my hip holding it together. After that there were a lot of doctor appointment to check on my hip but now everything is going good and sometimes I even forget I have the screw.

No comments:

Post a Comment