Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"The Dart" by Joey Garrison

            The dart was in my hand. I could feel it in my bone. It was lodged in there sideways and did not want to come out. I did not think he would throw it. Honestly, I did not.
Derrick and I were playing darts in my backyard and we were getting bored. So I stood behind the dart board that was hanging on my tree house and asked him to through it. He went insane saying, “No, no, no, no, no, no way am I going to throw that dart.” This went on for about three minutes. Eventfully I gave up and said fine, but Derrick must not have heard me because he threw it anyway.
                It was in there all right I could feel it against my bone. I yelled, “What the hell Derrick?!” he said that I told him to and I responded with, “I did not think you would do it!” I could feel the cold metal in my skin, it had been on the dirt earlier (Derrick doesn’t have that good of an aim) so I knew I’d have to get it out soon or risk an infection. I pulled and twisted as hard as I could. It came out along with a fountain of blood.  Blood was every were, on the grass, patio, furniture, and walls. Derrick was about to pass out, he isn’t good with blood. I told him to go get a band aid and so he ran in the house. I stared in awe at how much blood I was losing. About a minute latter Derrick came back with a band aid and my mom. Derrick tossed the band aid to me and I put in on. You could still see the blood coming out but at least it was getting on the band aid and not everywhere else. My mom made sure I was okay and started cleaning up the blood that landed on the furniture. Derrick was quiet for a little while and then he suggested that he should go home.  I said that I should go with him and he did not object. We made it to his house and before he went through the door I said “ I’m never going to let you here the end of this” he put his head down and said” I know” he went in his house and the door shut behind him. I looked up at the sky. The sun was setting behind the houses. I looked down at my hand and then looked back at the sunset and started towards my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment