Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"My Half Sister" by Melissa Torres

            I really didn’t believe it. Yet, there she was standing a few feet from me. The girl’s mom started to leaf her up the stony stairs. My cousin and I followed. When we reached the top, I saw my dad hugging the girl.
            I already knew I had a half-sister, but I never really put much thought into it. I knew it was wrong, but seeing my dad hug her, sent a strong flow of jealousy through me like burning hot lava. It was wrong because she unlike me had never met our dad. She didn’t know how a father’s love felt. Soon the jealousy turned to shame for being selfish.
            The girl looked a bit like dad. She had the same black hair like dad and me; she had the same nose and hands too! At that moment I realized how awesome it would be to have a sister. I would have someone with who I could discuss my problems, opinions and secrets with. I then had the urge to run up to her and hug her as if we hadn’t seen each other for years, this was pretty much true.
            “Miranda,” I looked up to see my father calling me to him. I went and stood by his side. “this here is your sister, well half-sister. Her name is Bethzay.”  Bethzay gave me a shy smile. I smiled back unable to contain my excitement.
            I was about 9 at the time and it was 3days before New Year’s. My parents, brother, and I had gone to California to visit my dad’s sister and her family. I loved going to California because I would always get to see my cousin Oscar.  We would always do crazy things when we were together.
            My dad told Bethzay to come and hang out with Oscar and me. I guess she was really shy because she refused either that or she didn’t like us. I doubt that was the case but I left with Oscar outside again. I reached for the green ball that we were playing with.
            “So what do you think about your newly discovered sister?” He smirked.
            “Well, she’s not really a new thing. I already knew about her.”I explained.
            Later that day I went inside to get ready for bed. My dad suggested that Bethzay, Paola, and I should have a sleepover. He thought that since Bethzay and Paola actually knew each other, it would be a great way to for bethzay and me to get to know each other.  So we had that sleepover.
5 years later…..
            Time has passed and Bethzay and I have gotten to be great sisters. She has come to visit every summer. Every time, I look back to that day I always reflect on how to be a good sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment