Monday, January 31, 2011

"My Camping Trip" by Tai Nuusa

Just watching him lay there was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I never knew his day would ever come, until August 7, 2007. It’s not easy losing somebody you love. As my family and I enter the room, I broke down in tears from just looking at a dead body. Being rushed to the E.R. in Ogden on a Tuesday afternoon was so intense for me. The pure walls made the room fill up with grief. Having close family and friends come in and see us made me want to cry harder.
We used to play dominoes and ‘kaiasue’ which means “slap the nose.”  The funny memories that I had with my dad are the ones that I keep close to me. My brothers, Bola and P.j, are the closest to my dad. My sister, Merita is ‘Daddy’s Little Princess’. And that leaves me with ‘Daddy’s little Black Devil’. Even though he had all of us, my mom did most of the work. My mom was his best friend, his companion, his right hand, his everything. He served in the military in Iraq and his funeral was the longest funeral ever.
While we were coming in and out of the room where my dad’s body rested for the day, going through all these memories made me realized that he is in a better place now.  On our way back to the room, we all started complaining.
 “Who’s going to help me with my homework?” Bola says.
“Who’s going to help me with my Merit Badges?” says P.j.
“Who’s going to help me with my booklets?” I said.
“WHO IS GOING TO BAPTIZE ME?” Merita say, almost yelling.
It was final; my dad is dead from drowning.  Yelling help three times got everybody’s attention. My uncle (Earvin’s dad) took my mom to that little island while the rescue crews were on their way. My cousin did the mouth-to-mouth procedure so many times but he was gone. It wasn’t easy for me to believe until I saw the body. He was posted on the news that afternoon and I thought that it was stupid. But life is life and we all die at one point.

No comments:

Post a Comment